DevOps is quickly becoming an overused buzzword with varying definitions for different people. Over the last few years, it has grown in popularity. So, what is exactly? What do the terms Dev and Ops mean? Let me provide you a step-by-step roadmap to understanding and the operations duties it entails.
- IT Buying and Security
- Installation of Server hardware & OS
- Server Monitoring
- Backup & Disaster Recovery Planning
- Asset Tracking
- Manage Active Directory, Phone systems, and networks
- Change control
Share Development & Operations Includes
- Software Deployments
- Application Support
Over the last few years, these roles have shifted. Virtualization and the cloud have greatly aided in the ease of purchasing, installation, and configuration.
Let’s move on to the OPS section and see what responsibilities a developer should have.
- Involvement in the selection for application stack
- Configure & Deploy virtual and cloud server.
- Deploying applications
- Monitoring applications and system health.
- Fixes application problems.
Developers, or anybody else who takes on these responsibilities, may now launch and support their applications more swiftly. The methodology and tools serve to bridge the gap between teams and increase business flexibility.
Now let’s see what the operation team do?
- Managing the hardware infrastructure
- Configure & monitor networking
- Enforce policies around backup, DR, security, compliance etc.
- Assistance in monitoring the system.
- Active directory management
- Asset tracking
The workload of the jobs listed above varies depending on the size of the firm. Larger organizations operational duties get more complex, necessitating expertise and committed staff to fulfil them. In small and mid-sized businesses, however, the IT manager and system administrators can handle everything.
It is evolving, allowing operations teams to focus entirely on infrastructure and IT policies while giving developers more power. It provides clients with greater agility, efficiency, and, as a result, a higher quality of performance and services.
So now we know what is all about. Now let’s move on to some core concepts:
1: Where did it come from?
2: What is the challenges it solves?
3: What are the goals of this?
4: What are the values of this?
5: What are the tools of this?
A new word for agile software development, was born out of the need to keep up with growing software velocity. It is an IT master that fosters basic communication, collaboration, integration, and automation between software developers and IT operations to better and enhance the pace and quality of delivered software.
DevOps, the Challenger
Its goals include:
- Improved deployment frequency
- To achieve faster time to market
- Less failure rate to new releases
- Short lead time between fixes
- Improve mean time to recovery
Some significant technologies and processes include source code repositories, build servers, configuration management, virtual infrastructure, and test automation.
We hope that this post has answered all of your questions about and provided you with a brief overview of this latest IT breakthrough.
For more info: https://www.mammoth-ai.com/devops/
Also read: https://www.guru99.com/devops-tutorial.html